Joining the Club
Newcomers are welcome to join our meets as a 'Prospective' before deciding to become a member. This gives you a chance to see if you like us and our meets. You can come to as many meets as you like before becoming a KMC member. We don't do instruction, tuition or coaching. If you're a complete beginner, take a short course to get the basics in whichever discipline you're interested in. To attend our climbing meets, you should be able to tie in and belay competently.
People who come to our meets before becoming KMC members are called Prospectives. As a Prospective, you will receive 3 months of free BMC Third Party Liability Insurance. After 3 months, you must pay the BMC fee (£21) or become a KMC Associate Member to stay insured if you wish to continue to attend KMC Meets.
How this works:
Register online in advance of your first meet. Your 3 months of free BMC Third Party Liability Insurance will start on the date you attend your first meet. We will send you information to pay your BMC fee 8 weeks after you attend your first meet, so that you stay covered.
Becoming a Member of KMC
If you're planning to attend our meets regularly and become part of the club, then we encourage you to become a KMC member. KMC membership gives you access to lots of great things:
✔ Become part of the KMC community of 165+ members
✔ Access to our incredible club hut in Wales
✔ Access to all meets - including member-only meets
✔ ‘Scribble’ access - find a climbing partner
✔ BMC discounts
✔ Exclusive KMC Club Newsletter
✔ Club Annual Handbook
✔ Being part of an historic club established in 1944
We have two member levels: Associate & Full, for those over 18 years of age:
Associate Member Requirements:
- Attend 4 meets within a six month period
Gain signatures from 3 full members to support your application
Complete your application with this information
Pay your £28 (rising to £34 subject to AGM Approval)
Full Member Requirements:
Be an Associate member for six months
Expectation that you will be active at club meets during that time
If you like the sound of this, then we look forward to seeing you at one of our meets soon.
KMC Member Subscription: £28.00
Prospective BMC Insurance*: £28.00
* - Upgrade to KMC Member before the end of the year at no extra cost.
Membership of the Club shall be open to members of the whole community aged 18 years and over without discrimination.
The Club may refuse membership or expel from membership only for good or sufficient cause, such as conduct or character likely to bring the Club or sport into disrepute. Appeal against such a decision may be made to the Club’s members, in which case it will be placed on the agenda of the next General Meeting, or a separate appeals committee appointed for such purpose by the Honorary Members, and decided by a majority vote.
- There shall be three grades of membership: Full, Honorary and Associate Membership. At no time shall the number of Associate Members exceed the number of Full Members.
- Applicants must:-
- have climbed or walked with members of the Club and should have attended at least 4 official Outdoor Meets within 6 months,
- be proposed by 3 Full Members,
- state on an official Application Form (obtainable from the Secretary) details and dates of their mountaineering experience.
- All applicants will, on election by the Committee by a simple majority, be admitted to the status of Associate Member. After a period of not less than 6 months, an Associate Member may apply to become a Full Member.
- Upon such application the Committee will look for evidence that the Associate Member has supported the aims and activities of the Club, has tried to build up his or her mountaineering experience, and is competent. Admission to Full Membership shall be at the sole discretion of the Committee, which may stipulate a term of extension of Associate Membership.
- Associate Members shall not have the power to vote at any General Meeting save that they shall be entitled to nominate and decide upon the Associate Members Representative in accordance with Rule 7, and may propose motions for the AGM. Associate Members are expected to attain Full Membership within 3 years.
- The Committee shall have the power to elect as an Honorary Member any person who has rendered eminent service to the cause of mountaineering or assistance to the Club. Honorary Members shall pay no subscription but shall in all other respects rank as Full Members except where the Constitution provides otherwise.
11 ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTIONS
The annual subscriptions for the various classes of membership shall be decided at the Annual General Meeting and published in the handbook. Subscriptions for each club year, which shall run from 1st January to 31st December, shall be paid to the Treasurer on or before 1st January. The subscription paid by members elected on or after 1st October of any club year shall cover the following club year. Every member whose subscription is three months in arrears shall ipso facto cease to be a member of the club, but may be reinstated at the Committee's discretion on payment of all arrears. The financial year begins, for the purpose of accounts, on 1st October and ends on 30th September.